Omega Speedmaster Apollo 13
There was a brutal murder in Dover in August. A seaman was arrested and stood trial for the killing of his landlandy. He was convicted and hanged at Maidstone prison a week before Christmas Day.
Meetings were held in the town to explain implications of the Government's Insurance Act. One result of the Act was that Dover doctors, like their colleagues in other towns, refused to Omega Seamaster Rubber Strap 20mm
In January 1912 the council convened a common hall to consider the Bill, and councillors and the mayor (William Bromley) were surprised when it was rejected by a large majority of those present. Not happy with that, the council decided to hold a town poll of ratepayers on the same issue. This was held in February and the Bill was carried, by 2,387 votes in favour to 1,706 against.
It was estimated that about 311 houses were involved, and the council had plans to build 113 homes.
Italian, Nardini, who had been expelled from France, made a number of flights in and around Whitfield, while naval aviators from Eastchurch made a number of flights to Dover.
Cross Channel ships were concentrated at Dover, with some switched from Folkestone, and they were coaled up at Calais. Railway services were hit and the town station closed.
Progress was seen during 1912 on the building of Dover's new General Post Office (now demolished and the site of Peacocks) in Priory Street. The GPO had long been desired by the townsfolk. In September tenders were invited to construct the GPO, and the successful tenderer was Ellis Brothers of New Romney. The estimated cost of the building was One notable event in 1912 was the belated unveiling of a memorial to Dover men who died in South Africa fighting the Boers. This slab of alabaster, with the names, inscribed was placed in the chancel of St Mary's Church and unveiled by Lord Roberts on April 19.
On July 24 the Gordon Boys' Orphanage, closed for some time, was re opened.
Dover remained a special place in aviation history in 1912. One "first" was the cross Channel flight of American Harriet Quimby, the first woman to pilot an aircraft across the English Channel. On April 15 she flew from Whitfield to Boulogne but, not long afterwards, met her death in a flying accident.
ONE hundred years ago, in 1912, there were great celebrations in the Kent coalfield when the first coal was brought to the surface at the new Snowdown Colliery near Aylesham.
Shop workers and others debated with their employers about the best time for the Dover Trades' Holiday. It was eventually decided to hold it on the third Wednesday in September.
The then Prince of Wales paid his first visit to Dover in April, when he embarked for a long stay in France. The Queen was also in Dover during the year on her way to visit relations in Germany.
The Express commented: "This was not unexpected as both parties on the council promoted the Bill while the opposition had no organisation. And more than half the electorate refused to vote."
A further amendment involved the widening of Limekiln Street and Bulwark Street, and a modified viaduct over the railway line with a spur to Archcliffe Road.
The coal shortage also resulted in an increase in unemployment, and the council helped out by creating work by employing men preparing a croquet lawn at Connaught Park while others carried out street repair work.
The first coal boat to arrive at Dover, at the end of the strike, berthed on April 15 and the cargo was carried urgently to the gasworks, where supplies were very low.
The Bill then went forward to the House of Commons where there were amendments, one of which was designed to help rehouse those Pier residents who would be losing their homes.
A miners' strike began in March and continued to the end of April. As a result of the shortage of fuel Dover Borough Council found it necessary to turn off half the streetlights in the town, while pumping restrictions at the waterworks reduced water supplies.
Another less controversial issue Omega Speedmaster Apollo 13 was the decision to turn off the town's street lighting at one o'clock in the morning, and to abandon the popular illuminations of parts of the town. This was to save of ratepayers' money.
But the main controversy in Dover in 1912 was over the Dover Corporation Bill promoted for Parliament. The main object of the Bill was for the council to buy land and property in the Pier district, to construct new streets, and to borrow money.
It had been expected that Tilmanstone Colliery would win the race to bring up the first coal but ingress of water into that pit delayed progress for several months.
Coal played defining role in local life 100 years ago
As a result of another dispute, in London docks, there was a shortage of supplies in a number of Dover shops, causing problems for town traders. They had other headaches too, with the introduction during the summer of the Shops' Act (including a decision on "early closing" days) and the Insurance Act.
Dover's newly formed Aero Club erected a clubhouse at the Whitfield airstrip which, in June, was opened by the Lord Lieutenant of Kent. During May an Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra Master
At Whitfield a couple of hangers were built for the aviators' frail aircraft, and these hangers were often occupied by a Mr Chalmers, who made several trial flights ending in crashes.
agree to work the medical benefits, and in September those attached to friendly societies Omega Speedmaster 57 Gold
Another event was the unveiling of the seafront statue erected in memory of aviator The Hon Charles S Rolls, the first man to fly "there and back" across the Channel. The Duke of Argyll unveiled the statue, which now stands on the lawn in front of The Gateway.
Omega Speedmaster Apollo 13
Nike Air Max Thea Blue Ebay
Copyright 2006–2007 Phoenix Gallery. All rights reserved. Site design by . . . || mccallum design